Monday, February 3, 2014

Asian Noodle Salad

My brother and his friend have engaged in the Daniel Fast and I must say, for me it's a bit of a challenge as far as finding recipes with foods that are allowed in the fast. I feel it has more restrictions than vegan cooking so it will definitely be interesting!

Some of the recipes will include ingredients that might not "technically" be allowed in the Daniel Fast so its really up to the person to decide how many modifications they are willing to make, if any at all. Therefore, please research the ingredients. I'm definitely not an expert on the Daniel Fast or any type of ingredients.

The recipes I will be following are based on what my brother is allowed to eat, but I'm sure adjustments can be made to what you can eat.

This recipe is a cold noodle salad and both my brother and his friend tried it before they started the Daniel Fast and they liked it, so I will be making it again in a couple of days. It's from a book titled "The Daniel Fast" by Susan Gregory and I just noticed that above the recipe, it says: "You'll be coming back for more on this recipe." I guess so! She's right. 

ASIAN NOODLE SALAD


Ingredients:
- 8 ounces whole wheat thin spaghetti noodles
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon creamy peanut butter
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup peeled, seeded and sliced cucumber
- 1 cup sliced snow peas
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup pinapple chuncks, cut in half
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the noodles according to package directions until al dente. Drain well (do not rinse), toss with canola oil, and set aside.

2. In a large bowl, combine the cilantro, soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic, ginger, oil, peanut butter, and red pepper flakes. Stir until well blended.

3. Add the cucumber, snow peas, bell pepper, pineapple chunks, and noodles, and toss. Let stand, covered, at room temperature for 1 hour, stirring occasionally so the flavors soak into the vegetables and pineapple.

4. Adjust the seasoning with the salt and pepper, toss again, and serve.

Makes 4 servings

Adjustments I make:
- I double the recipe
- I don't add red pepper flakes, salt or pepper. I leave it up to the person eating it, to season it if they wish.
- I quarter sliced water chestnuts and add them instead of snow peas.
- I add both red and green bell pepper.
- I cut down a little on the cilantro and the lemon measurements


No comments:

Post a Comment