Sunday, February 9, 2014

Two Bean Burgers

This was easy to make. I don't eat cumin so I didn't try it, but my family liked it. I got it from ultimatedanielfast.com

Two Bean Burger
- 1 Teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 Cup canned black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 Cup canned great northern beans, rinsed & drained
- 2 Tablespoons flaxseed meal (I used whole wheat flour & it worked fine)
- 1 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
Optional: For more texture, stir in 1/4 cup brown rice

Serving Options:
* You can spread guacamole on the burger.
* Top with tomato slices, lettuce and/or onions.

1. Mash beans in a large bowl, leaving about 1/4 of the beans whole and set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion & cook until soft and translucent.
3. Place in a bowl w/beans and add flaxseed meal (I added the whole wheat flour), garlic powder, cumin and salt. (Don't forget to add the rice. Recipe doesn't say to mix, but ofcourse mix until all the ingredients are combined).
4. Return skillet to medium heat and add a teaspoon of olive oil, if needed, to prevent burgers from sticking.
5. Scoop about 1/3 cup of bean mixture for each burger. Add to skillet and flatten with a spatula. Cook 5 mins or until bottoms are browned and slightly crispy. Flip and cook another 5 minutes.

Yield: 4 Servings (serving: 1 Burger)

My Tips:
- Like I said before, I'm not an expert, but I used whole wheat flour instead of flaxseed and smash a few more beans if it wasn't sticking together. It worked well.
- I used less cumin and a little more onions. I also added finely diced carrots & cooked them a bit with the onions.
- I could only fit 2 patties in my skillet so I ended up using more than a teaspoon of oil to prevent my burgers from sticking. Ofcourse, use as less as possible, but add a few drops as needed I'd say, but really it's up to you.
- I used brown rice from the to go little cups "1 minute rice". I microwaved it and used what the recipe called for and the rest, I served it with the burger.
- Another burger I put between lettuce leaves and added some tomato slices too.

I ended up with 6 patties instead of 4 like the recipe said. I didn't want to make them too thick or too big. I served one between the lettuce and the other next to rice as you see in the picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment